Tips for choosing the right costumes:
- Purchase costumes made of flame retardant material (Check the label).
- Keep hemlines short enough to prevent tripping and avoid loose, baggy sleeves, or billowing skirts.
To be seen easily, costumes should be made of a light color material.
- Use glow in the dark reflective tape on your costume.
- Use make-up rather than masks which could obstruct vision.
Tips for Halloween night:
- Use battery powered lights - never use candles to light jack-o’-lanterns.
- Instruct children to stay away from open flames.
- Remove objects from the yard that present a hazard to children (garden tools, hoses, etc.).
- Be extremely careful with cornstalks and other harvest season items. Keep them away from sources of heat. Don’t let them block doorways or stairs.
- Do not allow children to carry sharp sticks or other objects that could cause injury to others.
- If you are driving on Halloween, take care…watch out for trick-or-treaters who will be too busy to watch out for you.
- Closely inspect all candy before allowing children to eat it. Discard any unwrapped treats from a stranger.
If in doubt, throw it out.