When a timberland owner proposes to carry out a project that will result in timberland being converted to a non-timber growing use they must proceed along one of the following lines, where applicable:
- Submit a LESS THAN 3 ACRE CONVERSION EXEMPTION RM-73(14 CCR §1104.1a)
- Submit a PUBLIC AGENCY, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE UTILITY RIGHT OF WAY EXEMPTION RM-73 (14 CCR § 1104.1bc)
- Submit a NOTICE OF EXEMPTION FROM TIMBERLAND CONVERSION PERMIT FOR SUBDIVISION RM-91 (14 CCR §1104.2)
- This exemption is applicable where a Tentative Sub-division Map (Major subdivision) has been approved by local government in conformance with the Sub-division Map Act.
- Following submittal, CAL FIRE will confirm in writing that your project is exempt from the requirement to obtain a Timberland Conversion Permit.
- You must obtain CAL FIRE approval of a Timber Harvesting Plan (THP) prior to timberland conversion operations.
Submit an APPLICATION FOR TIMBERLAND CONVERSION PERMIT AND TIMBERLAND CONVERSION PLAN RM-53 (14 CCR §1105)
- The Application must be accompanied by the appropriate Application fees (14 CCR §1104.3)
- CAL FIRE's approval of a Timberland Conversion Permit (TCP) is subject to review under CEQA.
- Following review of your Application you will be directed to prepare an administrative draft environmental document for CAL FIRE's review, public circulation and consideration for adoption or certification.
- Public review of the CEQA document is generally coordinated with the simultaneous review of the associated THP.
- The approved TCP must be recorded with the County Recorder and the THP approved prior to commencing conversion operations.
The immediate rezoning of land zoned Timberland Production Zone (TPZ) requires the submittal of an APPLICATION FOR TIMBERLAND CONVERSION PERMIT AND TIMBERLAND CONVERSION PLAN RM-53 (14 CCR §1109 and approval of a TCP, whether or not timber operations occur (14 CCR §§1100(j) and 1100(g)(2)).
- Immediate rezoning requires local government approval in accordance with 14 CCR §1109.1 and GC §51133 [Link: http://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/pdf/pub43.pdf ]
- Upon local government tentative approval of the immediate rezone a TCP Application (RM-53) must be submitted to CAL FIRE for approval.
CEQA Notices, Hearings and Documents related to Timberland Conversions may be viewed at: Public Notices.