When a timberland owner proposes to carry out a project that will result in timberland being converted to a non-timber growing use they must proceed along one of the following lines, where applicable:
• Submit a LESS THAN 3 ACRE CONVERSION EXEMPTION RM-73(14 CCR §1104.1a)
• Submit a PUBLIC AGENCY, PUBLIC AND PRIVATE UTILITY RIGHT OF WAY EXEMPTION RM-73 (14 CCR §1104.1bc)
• Submit a NOTICE OF EXEMPTION FROM TIMBERLAND CONVERSION PERMIT FOR SUBDIVISION RM-91(14 CCR §1104.2)
- This exemption is applicable where a Tentative Sub-division Map (Major subdivision) has been approved by local government in conformance with the Sub-division Map Act.
- Following submittal, CAL FIRE will confirm in writing that your project is exempt from the requirement to obtain a Timberland Conversion Permit.
- You must obtain CAL FIRE approval of a Timber Harvesting Plan (THP) prior to timberland conversion operations.
• Submit an APPLICATION FOR TIMBERLAND CONVERSION PERMIT AND TIMBERLAND CONVERSION PLAN RM-53 (14 CCR §1105)
- The Application must be accompanied by the appropriate Application fees (14 CCR §1104.3)
- CAL FIRE's approval of a Timberland Conversion Permit (TCP) is subject to review under CEQA.
- Following review of your Application you will be directed to prepare an administrative draft environmental document for CAL FIRE's review, public circulation and consideration for adoption or certification.
- Public review of the CEQA document is generally coordinated with the simultaneous review of the associated THP.
- The approved TCP must be recorded with the County Recorder and the THP approved prior to commencing conversion operations.
• The immediate rezoning of land zoned Timberland Production Zone (TPZ) requires the submittal of an APPLICATION FOR TIMBERLAND CONVERSION PERMIT AND TIMBERLAND CONVERSION PLAN RM-53 (14 CCR §1109 and approval of a TCP, whether or not timber operations occur (14 CCR §§1100(j) and 1100(g)(2)).
- Immediate rezoning requires local government approval in accordance with 14 CCR §1109.1 and GC §51133 [Link: http://www.boe.ca.gov/proptaxes/pdf/pub43.pdf ]
- Upon local government tentative approval of the immediate rezone a TCP Application (RM-53) must be submitted to CAL FIRE for approval.
CEQA Notices, Hearings and Documents related to Timberland Conversions may be viewed at: Public Notices.