Proposition 40 Fuels Management Program
Last Updated: April 28, 2014
Prop 40 Fuels Reduction Program ended March 31, 2014.
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) is pleased to announce grant opportunities for small forest landowners funded by Proposition 40, the California Clean Water, Clean Air, Safe Neighborhood Parks, and Coastal Protection Act of 2002. The goal of the Proposition 40 Fuels Management Program, or Prop 40 Program, is to contract with private landowners for mutually beneficial forest improvement and wildfire hazard reduction projects designed to reduce fuel loadings that pose a threat to watershed resources and water quality.
Grant opportunities for the Prop 40 Program are for projects in 15 Sierra Nevada counties. In the Prop 40 Program, CAL FIRE's partner, Sierra Coordinated Resource Management Council (SCRMC), contracts with private landowners on a cost-share basis. The Prop 40 Program generally pays 75% of the costs and the landowners share is the remaining 25%. Landowner management plans, which are required for Prop 40 Program grants, will be paid 90% by Prop 40 Program and 10% by landowners.
The Prop 40 Program has previously granted over $2.5 million for projects. Additional funding is now available for landowner management plans and more funds may become available in early 2012 for new Prop 40 Program projects. Landowners interested in the Prop 40 Program should contact a Registered Professional Forester (RPF) or CAL FIRE.
All Prop 40 Program grant applications and related information should be submitted to your local CAL FIRE Unit forester. Should you have any questions on the Prop 40 Program, please contact Jeff Calvert, CAL FIRE's Prop 40 Program Manager at Sacramento Headquarters:
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
ATTN: Jeff Calvert
P.O. Box 944246
CAL FIRE's partner for the Prop 40 Program is the Sierra Coordinated Resource Management Council (SCRMC), which is led by Placer County Resource Conservation District. SCRMC will administer invoicing and reimbursement processing. SCRMC contact information is:
Placer County RCD
251 Auburn Ravine Road, Suite 107,
Auburn, CA, 95603
(530) 885-3046 x 119
Rick Gruen, District Manager
(530) 885-3046 x 118
Complete information and relevant documents are available on the SCRMC web site at http://www.placercountyrcd.org.