Incident Update Caldor Fire
- 7:39 PM
- Caldor Fire
- Start Date/Time
- Incident Status
- East of Omo Ranch, South of the community of Grizzly Flats
- El Dorado
- Administration Unit
- Unified Command: CAL FIRE Amador-El Dorado Unit and El Dorado National Forest
- Unified Command Agency(s)
- Structures Threatened
- Structures Destroyed
- Structures Damaged
- Civilian Injuries
- Firefighter Injuries
- Civilian Fatalities
- Firefighter Fatalities
Today fire behavior decreased in western areas thanks to slow wind speed across the fire. The fire continues to back down towards Hwy 50 in multiple locations due
to the heavy dead/down fuels. Aircraft and hand crews worked throughout the day to secure more control line along the southern edge of the fire keeping it north of
Hwy 88. Tonight, firefighters will take advantage of lighter winds and cooler temperatures to construct additional control lines. Damage inspection is in progress with approximately 65% of structures inspected to date.
To better provide public and firefighter safety due to extreme fire conditions throughout Northern California, and strained firefighter resources throughout the Country, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing a temporary closure of all National Forests in California. The closure order can be found at https://tinyurl.com/USFSClosure.
Local Assistance Center:
Address: 6699 Campus Drive, Placerville, CA 95667. Located at Folsom Lake Community College, El Dorado Campus, Fitness Center Building.
Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Wednesdays 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Highway 88 is closed between Peddlers Ridge and the Highway 88/89 interchange.
EL DORADO COUNTY
- Highway 50 is closed in both directions from the Sly Park Road exit to the California/Nevada stateline.
- Highway 89 at the Placer County/ El Dorado County line in Tahoma
EL DORADO COUNTY SHELTERS
- Green Valley Community Church
3500 Missouri Flat Road
- Cameron Park CSD
2502 Country Club Drive
Cameron Park, CA
- Rolling Hills Church
800 White Rock Road
El Dorado Hills, CA
AMADOR COUNTY SHELTERS
- Temporary Evacuation Point
Italian Picnic Grounds in Sutter Creek
581 Hwy 49
Sutter Creek, CA 95685
NEVADA COUNTY SHELTER
- Truckee Veterans Hall
10214 High Street
Truckee, CA 96161
NEVADA STATE SHELTERS
- Douglas County Community & Senior Center- Douglas Co. Residents Only
1329 Waterloo Lane, Gardnerville, NV
- Reno Sparks Convention Center
4590 South Virginia Street, Reno,
- RV Dry Camping and Large Animals
Dayton Event Center/Rodeo Grounds
500 Schaad Lane, Dayton, NV
- Lyon County Fair Grounds
100 95A East Yerington, NV
Animal Evacuation Centers
L DORADO COUNTY
- El Dorado County Animal Services (small animals)
6435 Capitol Ave.
Diamond Springs, CA
For animal evacuation questions or assistance call (530) 621-5795
- Saureel Vineyards (large animals) FULL
1140 Cold Springs Road
- South County Large Animal Rescue (SCLAR)
Amador County Fairgrounds (large and farm animals)
El Dorado County residents only
18621 Sherwood Street
- Amador County Animal Response Team- ACART
Amador County Fairgrounds (large and small animals)
18621 Sherwood Street
For Amador County residents only
- Lyon County Fair Grounds – Dry Camp Only
100 95A East, Yerington, NV
- Dayton Event Center/Rodeo Grounds – Dry Camping Only
500 Schaad Lane, Dayton, NV
- Douglas County Fairgrounds
920 Pinenut Road, Gardnerville, NV
At 1900 yesterday evening, California Interagency Incident Management Team 4, Incident Commander Rocky Opliger, assumed command of the East Zone of the
Caldor Fire. The East Zone extends from the community of Strawberry along U.S. Highway 50, north to Pyramid Peak and South to Caples Lake, and then all areas to
the east of these landmarks including the communities of Christmas Valley, Meyers, South Lake Tahoe, and Kingsbury.
Weather conditions moderated yesterday with wind speeds not reaching predicted levels and an inversion and heavy smoke remaining over the fire later into the day.
Fire growth occurred primarily along the edges near the head of the fire as it made some progression toward the Cold Creek drainage.
Yesterday hand crews assessed opportunities to build direct line along the fire perimeter from California State Route 89 west toward Scout Peak to reduce threats
to structures in Christmas Valley. At Echo Lake firefighters were shuttled across by boat to work on structure preparations and hand crews assessed opportunities to
build direct line along the fire perimeter from U.S. Highway 50 west toward Echo Lake. Near Pioneer Trail in South Lake Tahoe, dozers continued to build mechanical
line along the bottom edge of the slope to keep the fire south of these communities. Engines patrolled and prepared structures that remained threatened. During night operations, specialized night flying helicopters were used to drop retardant from a mobile retardant plant to slow fire progression near Christmas Valley and hot shot crews built direct line along the fire perimeter on the northeast edge of the fire from Trout Creek toward Trimmer Peak.
Today hand crews will build direct line along the fires edge from Christmas Valley west toward Nebelhorn and from U.S. Highway 50 west toward Echo Lake and hot
shot crews will continue hand line construction near Trimmer Peak at the northeastern most edge of the fire. In the community of South Lake Tahoe, dozers and hand crews will continue mechanical line preparations near Pioneer Trail and begin improving old road systems in the Cold Creek drainage. Air resources will assist firefighters on the ground with retardant and water drops to slow fire movement and cool hot spots along the fire perimeter as conditions allow. A contingency group will continue structure assessments along Nevada SR207 (Kingsbury) and SR206 (Foothill Road) and in the communities of Fredericksburg, Paynesville, and Woodfords along California SR88.
Amador County Evacuations
Amador County Evacuation Orders:
- South of Highway 88 along the Amador/El Dorado County line from Dufrene Road, due east to the Amador/Alpine County line and from the Amador/Alpine County line north to Highway 88. This includes the area of Kirkwood Lake.
Amador County Evacuation Warnings:
- South of the Amador/El Dorado County line along Highway 88 from Dufrene Road west to Omo Ranch Road.
- North of Tiger Creek Road east to Salt Springs Reservoir Road to the east end of the Salt Springs Reservoir.
- West of the Amador/Alpine County line to Highway 88.
- East of Highway 88 to the Amador/Alpine County line
El Dorado County Evacuations
El Dorado County Evacuation Orders:
- BIJOU - The residences between Al Tahoe on the east side of Johnson Blvd to include the streets of Treehaven and Freimont and extending to the east in to all residences west of Ski Run and east of Pioneer Trail.
- HEAVENLY - East of Pioneer Trail between Larch and Al Tahoe, to include the area of Heavenly Ski Resort out to the Alpine County Line and the Nevada State line on the east.
- STATELINE - East of Ski run on the lake side of Pioneer Trail and also both sides of Pioneer Trail between Larch and the Nevada State line.
- CHRISTMAS VALLEY - East of Echo Summit following Highway 89 north through Christmas Valley (both sides of 89) east to the Alpine County Line. This area is south of Highway 50 except for the residences accessed from Chiapa which also included. This area also includes the streets connected to Mulberry, Elmwood and Cornelian.
- FALLEN LEAF - The area of Fallen Leaf Lake, Angora Lake and the residences on Tahoe Mountain, extending west to the border of Desolation Wilderness.
- WAHOE MEADOWS - All streets accessed from North Upper Truckee Road which is north of Highway 50 stopping at Sawmill and Lake Tahoe Blvd on the north side. This includes all residences on Sawmill and the residences to the west of Highway 50 in Meyers to include Country Club, Bakersfield, East S and Hopi.
- MEYERS - All residences in Meyers North of Highway 89 and east of Highway 50 to cinlude all streets accessed from Apache, Mandan, following Pioneer
Trail northeast just past Elks Club.
- PIONEER - This is the area north of Elks Club along Highway 50 and the west side Pioneer Trail, but also including the street of Hekpa, but excluding the residences west of the airport. This segment includes all residences accessed from Jicarilla, Washoan and Glen Eagles. This also includes the Golden Bear neighborhood and the neighborhoods of Cold Creek Trail, High Meadows, Marshall Trail.
- HELL HOLE - Northeast of Highway 89, west of the Alpine County line, and south of Tahoe Paradise Golf Course.
- TRIMMER - The area east of Pioneer Trail to the Alpine County Line stopping south of Heavenly Ski Resort, excluding all residences off of Pioneer Trail.
- WEST OMO - Omo Ranch Road between Fairplay Road to Slug Gulch Road, Slug Gultch Road and Gray Rock Road.
El Dorado County Evacuation Warnings:
- CEMENT HILL - Cement Hill area, south of Omo Ranch south to Farnham Ridge Road
- FARNHAM RIDGE - The east end of Omo Ranch Road south to the Amador County Line
- PI PI - East of North South Road from Omo Ranch to Cat Creek and east to Highway 88 1 mile east of Omo Ranch Road.
- COSUMNES - This is a small section south of Farnham Ridge, north of the Amador/El Dorado County Line, and east of Bridgeport School Road.
- COYOTEVILLE - South of Omo Ranch Road to the El Dorado County Line between Mt. Aukum Road (E16) and Fairplay Road to include Coyoteville Road, Cedar Creek and tributary roads.
- MT AUKUM - East of Mt. Aukum (E16) from Bucks Bar Road to Omo Ranch Road. North of Omo Ranch Road to the intersection of Omo Ranch Road and Fairplay Road.
- ANT HILL - South of Pleasant Valley between Bucks Bar Road and Newtown Road, East of Bucks Bar Road to Mt. Aukum Road.
- SPRINGER - The area south of Pleasant Valley Road, east of Bucks Bar Road, and north of the North Fork of the Cosumnes River
- HIGHWAY 50 SOUTH NEWTOWN - South of Highway 50 to Pleasant Valley between Smith Flat and Snows Road, and north of Pleasant Valley between Holm and Newtown.
- CARSON WHITE OAK - North of Highway 50 to Slab Creek between Smith Flat and Snows Road.
- MOSQUITO - Mosquito Road from the bridge north to include the community of Swansboro.
- SOUTH OF WENTWORTH SPRINGS - North of Slab Creek to Wentworth Springs Road between Sand Mountain and Loon Lake.
- DRY LAKE - This section is north of Wentworth Springs Road up to the Placer County line and the remaining section of El Dorado County south of Placer County to Loon Lake.
Alpine County Evacuations
- The area from Pickett’s Junction, north on Highway 89 to the Alpine/El Dorado County line. Northeast along the Alpine/El Dorado County line to the California/Nevada state line. Southeast along the Alpine County line to Fay-Luther Canyon. Southwest along Fay-Luther Canyon to Horse Thief Canyon to Pickett’s Junction.
- North of Highway 89 from Woodfords due north to Luther Creek at the Nevada State line.
- East of Forestdale Road and south to the Pacific Crest Trail Crossing.
- East of the Pacific Crest Trail to the Summit City Canyon Trail.
- East of Summit City Canyon Trail and south to the El Dorado / Stanislaus National Forest Line.
- El Dorado / Stanislaus National Forest Line east to the northern lake edge of Upper Blue Lakes.
- North of the North-west Lake edge of Upper Blue Lake to the southern aspect of Hawkins Peak and to Woodfords junction.
- South of Highway 88 at Woodfords Junction to Forestdale Road.
- The area from Picketts Junction south on Highway 88 to Forestdale Road. Northeast to Hawkins Peak to the Highway 88/Highway 89 junction at Woodfords. East on Highway 88 to the California/Nevada state line. Northwest along the Alpine County line to Fay-Luther Canyon. Southwest along Fay-Luther Canyon to Horse Thief Canyon to Picketts Junction.
Douglas County Evacuations
- Upper Kingsbury (South)
- Upper Kingsbury (North)
- Central Kingsbury
- Lower Kingsbury
- Round Hill region and roads including Lower Elks Point
- Lake Village
- Lower Olivers, Kahle Drive region and roads
- These Evacuation Orders will include areas from Highway 50 at Lake Parkway, East to Elks Point Road (excluding Stateline Casinos) and State Route 207 (Kingsbury Grade) from Highway 50 to Tramway Drive, including all area roads North and South of Kingsbury Grade.
- Zone 2
- Any homes or property located on Foothill Road from Centerville Lane north to Muller. Included in this zone is the valley side of Kingsbury Grade and any homes that are accessed by Foothill Road between Centerville Lane and Muller Lane.
- These communities are asked to be on the alert and start preparing for potential evacuations. Evacuations have not been ordered at this time, however there is potential for evacuation orders in the near future and road closures are imminent. Please stay vigilant, pay attention to emergency phone alerts, and have a plan in place.
- Water Tenders
- Air Tankers
- Hand Crews
- Total Personnel
|El Dorado National Forest||530-303-2455||100 Forni Road Placerville California 95667||https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7801/|
|El Dorado County Sheriff's Office||(530) 621-5655||https://www.edcgov.us/Government/sheriff/|
|Pioneer Fire District||(530) 620-4444||http://pioneerfire.org/|
|Cooperating Agencies: El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office, Sierra Pacific Industries, Pioneer FD, PG&E, CHP, El Dorado Irrigation District, El Dorado County, Grizzly Flats Community Service District, SMUD, Amador County Sheriff’s Office, AT&T, Georgetown FD, CALTRANS, Indian Diggins School District, El Dorado County FD, Grizzly Flats Water District, Volcano Telephone, Placerville FD, El Dorado County DOT, Mosquito FD, Garden Valley FD, Cal OES Fire, El Dorado County EMSA, El Dorado County Office of Education, Marshall Medical Center, Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians FD, State Water Resources Control Board, KAMPS, El Dorado County Department of Agriculture, Barton Health, CAL EPA, Lake Valley Fire District, and Verizon|