Incident Update Caldor Fire
- 7:30 AM
- Caldor Fire
- Start Date/Time
- Incident Status
- East of Omo Ranch, South of the community of Grizzly Flats
- El Dorado
- Administration Unit
- Unified Command: CAL FIRE Amador-El Dorado Unit and El Dorado National Forest
- Unified Command Agency(s)
- Structures Threatened
- Structures Destroyed
- Structures Damaged
- Civilian Injuries
- Firefighter Injuries
- Civilian Fatalities
- Firefighter Fatalities
WEST ZONE Situation Summary:
Fire activity decreased overnight due to moderate humidity recovery and a decrease in winds. Firefighters took advantage of these favorable conditions to build more control lines and work direct along the northern edge of the fire. Spot fires from the wind event two days ago continue to be found and firefighters engaged when safe to do so. Minimal fire growth occurred in the Kirkwood area. Today crews will work to tie in more control lines and mop up.
To better provide public and firefighter safety due to extreme fire conditions throughout Northern California, and strained firefighter resources throughout the Country, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing a temporary closure of all National Forests in California. The closure order can be found at https://tinyurl.com/USFSClosure.
EAST ZONE Situation Summary:
Weather continued to moderate yesterday with cooler temperatures in the 70’s and lighter southwest winds and some gustier conditions on the ridge tops. Fire growth was minimal on the East Zone with some perimeter expansion near Cold Creek on the northeast edge, at Luther Spire east of Christmas Valley, and in timber stringers north of Caples Lake. Today the inversion will break around 10 a.m. when fire behavior may begin to increase. Relative humidity is expected to be in the teens, winds will switch to the east-southeast with gusts to 20 mph on ridges. Exceptionally dry fuel conditions exist in and round the fire area.
Yesterday the fire was active at Lower Echo Lake, hand crews were successful in extinguishing interior hot spots and directly on the fire’s edge. Structure protection preparations and mop-up around cabins continued at both Lower and Upper Echo Lake. The fire was active along the northeast flank, northeast of Pioneer Trail. Here hand crews and dozers constructed a fireline adjacent to active fire to herd the fire toward Cold Creek and connect into completed dozer line along the powerline corridor. At the head of the fire near Trimmer Peak, hotshot crews were successful in extinguishing the fire around numerous hot spots. Dozers and hand crews worked along the fire’s edge from Trimmer Peak southwest to Saxon Creek. In Christmas Valley east of SR 89, the fire remained active and hand crews began constructing indirect fireline using trails in the area that will connect back to the main fire in Saxton Creek.
Today hand crews will continue to build and improve the fireline along the fire perimeter near Lower and Upper Echo Lakes, northeast of Pioneer Trail toward Cold Creek, and east of SR 89 at Luther Spire. Air resources will assist firefighters on the ground with retardant and water drops to slow fire movement and cool hot spots along the fire perimeter as conditions allow. In Hope Valley along California SR 88, a contingency group will use masticators to reduce dense vegetation along the highway corridor.
Local Assistance Center:
Address: 6699 Campus Drive, Placerville, CA 95667. Located at Folsom Lake Community College, El Dorado Campus, Fitness Center Building.
Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Wednesdays 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Highway 88 is closed between Peddlers Ridge and the Highway 88/89 interchange.
EL DORADO COUNTY
- Highway 50 is closed in both directions from the Sly Park Road exit to the California/Nevada stateline.
- Highway 89 at the Placer County/ El Dorado County line in Tahoma
EL DORADO COUNTY SHELTERS
- Green Valley Community Church
3500 Missouri Flat Road
- Cameron Park CSD
2502 Country Club Drive
Cameron Park, CA
- Rolling Hills Church
800 White Rock Road
El Dorado Hills, CA
AMADOR COUNTY SHELTERS
- Temporary Evacuation Point
Italian Picnic Grounds in Sutter Creek
581 Hwy 49
Sutter Creek, CA 95685
NEVADA COUNTY SHELTER
- Truckee Veterans Hall
10214 High Street
Truckee, CA 96161
NEVADA STATE SHELTERS
- Douglas County Community & Senior Center- Douglas Co. Residents Only
1329 Waterloo Lane, Gardnerville, NV
- Reno-Sparks Convention Center
4590 South Virginia Street, Reno,
- RV Dry Camping and Large Animals
Dayton Event Center/Rodeo Grounds
500 Schaad Lane, Dayton, NV
- Lyon County Fair Grounds
100 95A East Yerington, NV
Animal Evacuation Centers
EL DORADO COUNTY
- El Dorado County Animal Services (small animals)
6435 Capitol Ave.
Diamond Springs, CA
For animal evacuation questions or assistance call (530) 621-5795
- Saureel Vineyards (large animals) FULL
1140 Cold Springs Road
- South County Large Animal Rescue (SCLAR)
Amador County Fairgrounds (large and farm animals)
El Dorado County residents only
18621 Sherwood Street
- Amador County Animal Response Team- ACART
Amador County Fairgrounds (large and small animals)
18621 Sherwood Street
For Amador County residents only
- Lyon County Fair Grounds – Dry Camp Only
100 95A East, Yerington, NV
- Dayton Event Center/Rodeo Grounds – Dry Camping Only
500 Schaad Lane, Dayton, NV
- Douglas County Fairgrounds
920 Pinenut Road, Gardnerville, NV
Amador County Evacuations
Amador County Evacuation Orders:
- South of Highway 88 along the Amador/El Dorado County line from Dufrene Road, due east to the Amador/Alpine County line and from the Amador/Alpine County line north to Highway 88. This includes the area of Kirkwood Lake.
Amador County Evacuation Warnings:
- South of the Amador/El Dorado County line along Highway 88 from Dufrene Road west to Omo Ranch Road.
- North of Tiger Creek Road east to Salt Springs Reservoir Road to the east end of the Salt Springs Reservoir.
- West of the Amador/Alpine County line to Highway 88.
- East of Highway 88 to the Amador/Alpine County line
El Dorado County Evacuations
El Dorado County Evacuation Orders:
- AL TAHOE - All residences off of Lakeview which is west of Highway 50 North of Blue Lakes Road and east of Tahoe Keys Neighborhood.
- BIG MTN - The area south of North South Road north of the Barney Ridge area and south of Dogtown Creek.
- BIJOU - The residences between Al Tahoe on the east side of Johnson Blvd to include the streets of Treehaven and Freimont and extending to the east in to all residences west of Ski Run and east of Pioneer Trail.
- CALDOR - From Plummer Ridge south through North South Road including the western portions of Cat Creek and Lower Cat Creek Road.
- CAPLES CREEK - This section is south of Highway 50 east of Kyburz up to 41 Milestone Tract and south all the way to Highway 88 between 1 mile east of Mormon Immigrant Trail up to Caples Lake following the county line.
- CHRISTMAS VALLEY - East of Echo Summit following Highway 89 north through Christmas Valley (both sides of 89) east to the Alpine County Line. This area is south of Highway 50 except for the residences accessed from Chiapa which also included. This area also includes the streets connected to Mulberry, Elmwood and Cornelian.
- COLE STATION - 7600 Block of Grizzly Flats Road (just east of Saluty Cellars in the west to the intersection of String Canyon Road in the East.
- CRYSTAL BASIN - North of Highway 50 from Ice House Road to Wrights Lake Road up to the Placer County Line to include Ice House Reservoir, Union Valley Reservoir, Wrights Lake, and Loon Lake.
- DESOLATION - This section extends south of the Placer County line in the area of the Rubicon Trail between Spider Lake and Sourdough Hill and extends south into Desolation Wilderness all the way to Highway 50 to include the areas of Rockbound Lake, Rubicon Reservoir, Highland Lake, Horseshoe Lake, Schmidell Lake and Twin Lakes south to Highway 50 between Wrights Lake Road and Twin Bridges. The eastern edge of this area is in line with Clyde Lake and Pyramid Lake.
- DESOLATION EAST - The area north of Echo Lake, following the Desolation Wilderness north staying west of Fallen Leaf Lake, Cascade Lake and Emerald Bay up to the Placer County Line
- DESOLATION NORTH - This is the area of Desolation Wilderness south of the Placer County Line extending to Emerald Bay, but staying within Desolation Wilderness.
- DOGTOWN CREEK - The area east of Leoni Meadows, south of Leoni Road and north of big mountain.
- FALLEN LEAF - The area of Fallen Leaf Lake, Angora Lake and the residences on Tahoe Mountain, extending west to the border of Desolation Wilderness.
- GARDNER MOUNTAIN - Northwest of the South Lake Tahoe Airport and west of the Highway 50 / Lake Tahoe Blvd and Highway 89 intersection to include the South Lake Tahoe High School, Tahoe Verde and the streets accessed from 5th through 15th street south of Highway 89
- GREATER GRIZZLY - This is the greater area surrounding Grizzly Flats but not including the residential area. This area also expands to the east along Capps Crossing to North South Road.
- GRIZZLY FLAT PROPER - The main residential area of Grizzly Flats from Cosumnes Mine and String Canyon on the west and Winding Way and Forest Glen on the east.
- GRIZZLY FLAT WEST - Grizzly Flat Road from Mt. Aukum Road through the 7500 block (just past Saluti Cellars)
- HAPPY VALLEY - The area of Happy Valley Road from Sweeny Road to Cosumnes Mine Road.
- HEAVENLY - East of Pioneer Trail between Larch and Al Tahoe, to include the area of Heavenly Ski Resort out to the Alpine County Line and the Nevada State line on the east.
- HELL HOLE - Northeast of Highway 89, west of the Alpine County line, and south of Tahoe Paradise Golf Course.
- HENRY DIGGINGS - The section of Caldor Road between the immediate area of the start of the fire and Grizzly Flats.
- LEISURE - South of Pleasant Valley between Newtown Road and E-16, East side of E-16 to Bucks Bar Road, Gopher Hole Road off of Bucks Bar Road.
- LEONI MEADOWS - The Leoni Meadows property which is east of Grizzly Flats.
- MET TO HWY 88 - South of Mormon Emigrant Trail to Highway 88. West on Highway 88 to Hams Station.
- MEYERS - All residences in Meyers North of Highway 89 and east of Highway 50 to include all streets accessed from Apache, Mandan, following Pioneer Trail northeast just past Elks Club.
- NORTH CAMINO TO ICE HOUSE - North of Highway 50 between Snows Road and Forebay Road, north to Slab Creek and east across Peavine Ridge.
- NORTH ECHO - North of Highway 50 between Twin Bridges and Echo Summit, extending to the North just past Upper Echo Lake.
- NORTH US 50 EAST OF FOREBAY TO ICE HOUSE - North of Highway 50 between Forebay Road and Ice House Road extending to the North to include Spring Valley Road.
- PIONEER - This is the area north of Elks Club along Highway 50 and the west side Pioneer Trail, but also including the street of Hekpa, but excluding the residences west of the airport. This segment includes all residences accessed from Jicarilla, Washoan and Glen Eagles. This also includes the Golden Bear neighborhood and the neighborhoods of Cold Creek Trail, High Meadows, Marshall Trail.
- SIERRA TRACT - All residences on both sides of Highway 50 for the streets connected to O’Malley, Lodi, Silver Dollar and Rubicon Trail.
- SOUTH ECHO - South of Highway 50 starting at Camp Sacramento to the top of Echo Summit then proceeding due south to the Alpine County Line.
- SOUTH OF US 50 EAST OF SLY PARK TO ICE HOUSE ROAD - South of Highway 50 east of Sly Park Road to Sly Park Lake then east to directly south of Ice House Road and Highway 50.
- SOUTH POLLOCK & CAMINO - The area between Sly Park Road and Highway 50 extending west to Snows Road.
- SOUTH SLY PARK - From the west, all of the homes south of Sly Park Road and South of Sly Park Lake moving along the south of Mormon Immigrant Trail to North South Road.
- STATELINE - East of Ski run on the lake side of Pioneer Trail and also both sides of Pioneer Trail between Larch and the Nevada State line.
- TAHOE ISLAND - East of Highway 50/ Highway 89 at the at the Lake Tahoe Blvd and Highway 89 Highway 50 intersection. This includes the area of Barton Hospital and the area of Winnemucca to the “Y”. Also north of Highway 50 west of Tahoe Keys Blvd following along the north side of Highway 89 through the end of town prior to Pope Beach.
- TAHOE KEYS - All residences with the Tahoe Keys community and all residents accessed from the streets connected to Tahoe Keys Blvd, staying east of 3rd Street.
- TAHOMA - The section from Emerald Bay north to the Placer county line in Tahoma, extending west to the border of Desolation Wilderness.
- TRIMMER - The area east of Pioneer Trail to the Alpine County Line stopping south of Heavenly Ski Resort, excluding all residences off of Pioneer Trail.
- US 50 SOUTH TO KYBURZ - South of Highway 50 from Ice House Road to Silver Fork Road, to include the community of Kyburz. East of Mormon Emigrant Trail to Highway 88
- WAHOE MEADOWS - All streets accessed from North Upper Truckee Road which is north of Highway 50 stopping at Sawmill and Lake Tahoe Blvd on the north side. This includes all residences on Sawmill and the residences to the west of Highway 50 in Meyers to include Country Club, Bakersfield, East S and Hopi.
- WEST HAPPY VALLEY - The west end of Happy Valley Road from Mt Aukum Road to Sweeny Road.
El Dorado County Evacuation Warnings:
- ANT HILL - South of Pleasant Valley between Bucks Bar Road and Newtown Road, East of Bucks Bar Road to Mt. Aukum Road.
- BARNEY RIDGE - North of Omo Ranch Road east to North South Road, crossing both sides of Sopiago Creek.
- DRY LAKE - This section is north of Wentworth Springs Road up to the Placer County line and the remaining section of El Dorado County south of Placer County to Loon Lake.
- HIGHWAY 50 SOUTH NEWTOWN - South of Highway 50 to Pleasant Valley between Smith Flat and Snows Road, and north of Pleasant Valley between Holm and Newtown.
- OMO RANCH - The area of the town of Omo Ranch south of the Middle fork of the Consumnes River, Omo Ranch Road East from Slug Gulch Road to 8N54.
- PI PI - East of North South Road from Omo Ranch to Cat Creek and east to Highway 88 1 mile east of Omo Ranch Road.
- SOUTH OF WENTWORTH SPRINGS - North of Slab Creek to Wentworth Springs Road between Sand Mountain and Loon Lake.
- SPRINGER - The area south of Pleasant Valley Road, east of Bucks Bar Road, and north of the North Fork of the Cosumnes River
- WEST OMO - Omo Ranch Road between Fairplay Road to Slug Gulch Road. Slug Gulch Road and Grey Rock Road, outside the fire line.
Alpine County Evacuations
- The area from Pickett’s Junction, north on Highway 89 to the Alpine/El Dorado County line. Northeast along the Alpine/El Dorado County line to the California/Nevada state line. Southeast along the Alpine County line to Fay-Luther Canyon. Southwest along Fay-Luther Canyon to Horse Thief Canyon to Pickett’s Junction.
- North of Highway 89 from Woodfords due north to Luther Creek at the Nevada State line.
- East of Forestdale Road and south to the Pacific Crest Trail Crossing.
- East of the Pacific Crest Trail to the Summit City Canyon Trail.
- East of Summit City Canyon Trail and south to the El Dorado / Stanislaus National Forest Line.
- El Dorado / Stanislaus National Forest Line east to the northern lake edge of Upper Blue Lakes.
- North of the North-west Lake edge of Upper Blue Lake to the southern aspect of Hawkins Peak and to Woodfords junction.
- South of Highway 88 at Woodfords Junction to Forestdale Road.
- The area from Picketts Junction south on Highway 88 to Forestdale Road. Northeast to Hawkins Peak to the Highway 88/Highway 89 junction at Woodfords. East on Highway 88 to the California/Nevada state line. Northwest along the Alpine County line to Fay-Luther Canyon. Southwest along Fay-Luther Canyon to Horse Thief Canyon to Picketts Junction.
Douglas County Evacuations
- Upper Kingsbury (South)
- Upper Kingsbury (North)
- Central Kingsbury
- Lower Kingsbury
- Lower Olivers, Kahle Drive region and roads
- Lake Village
- Areas south of Elks Point Road
These Evacuation Orders will include areas from Highway 50 at Lake Parkway, East to Elks Point Road (excluding Stateline Casinos) and State Route 207 (Kingsbury Grade) from Highway 50 to Tramway Drive, including all area roads North and South of Kingsbury Grade.
- Zone 2
- Any homes or property located on Foothill Road from Centerville Lane north to Muller. Included in this zone is the valley side of Kingsbury Grade and any homes that are accessed by Foothill Road between Centerville Lane and Muller Lane.
These communities are asked to be on the alert and start preparing for potential evacuations. Evacuations have not been ordered at this time, however there is potential for evacuation orders in the near future and road closures are imminent. Please stay vigilant, pay attention to emergency phone alerts, and have a plan in place.
- Water Tenders
- Air Tankers
- Hand Crews
- Total Personnel
|El Dorado National Forest||530-303-2455||100 Forni Road Placerville California 95667||https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7801/|
|El Dorado County Sheriff's Office||(530) 621-5655||https://www.edcgov.us/Government/sheriff/|
|Pioneer Fire District||(530) 620-4444||http://pioneerfire.org/|
|Cooperating Agencies: El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office, Sierra Pacific Industries, Pioneer FD, PG&E, CHP, El Dorado Irrigation District, El Dorado County, Grizzly Flats Community Service District, SMUD, Amador County Sheriff’s Office, AT&T, Georgetown FD, CALTRANS, Indian Diggins School District, El Dorado County FD, Grizzly Flats Water District, Volcano Telephone, Placerville FD, El Dorado County DOT, Mosquito FD, Garden Valley FD, Cal OES Fire, El Dorado County EMSA, El Dorado County Office of Education, Marshall Medical Center, Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians FD, State Water Resources Control Board, KAMPS, El Dorado County Department of Agriculture, Barton Health, CAL EPA, Lake Valley Fire District, and Verizon|