Incident Update Caldor Fire
- 10:42 PM
- Caldor Fire
- Start Date/Time
- Incident Status
- East of Omo Ranch, South of the community of Grizzly Flats
- Under Investigation
- El Dorado
- Administration Unit
- Unified Command: CAL FIRE Amador-El Dorado Unit and El Dorado National Forest
- Unified Command Agency(s)
- Structures Threatened
- Structures Destroyed
- Structures Damaged
- Civilian Injuries
- Firefighter Injuries
- Civilian Fatalities
- Firefighter Fatalities
CALDOR FIRE - Evacuation Orders Downgraded 9/5/21 3:00 PM
WHAT: Evacuation Orders Downgraded
WHEN: Effective Immediately
WHERE: El Dorado County
Evacuation Order Update:
The following Evacuation Orders have been downgraded to Evacuation Warnings in El Dorado County:
- South Lake Tahoe City Limits - From the Nevada State line west along Highway 50 to
the Tahoe airport. Highway 89 from the city northwest to the city's edge at West Way.
Also Pioneer Trail from state line west to Al Tahoe Blvd.
- North of the City of South Lake Tahoe - All properties on the East (lake side) of Highway
89 extending north from the city limits to Emerald Bay. All properties on both sides of
Highway 89 extending North from Emerald Bay through Tahoma.
- The area of Fallen Leaf Lake, Christmas Valley, Meyers, and North Upper Truckee remains
under an evacuation order.
- Highway 88 is closed from Pickets Junction to Peddler Hill in Amador County
- Highway 89 is closed from Highway 88 (Pickets Junction) to Highway 50 in Meyers
- US 50 is closed from Fresh Pond to Sawmill Road
- Road Closures in the basin are at the City Limits on Pioneer Trl, Lake Tahoe Blvd, and Hwy 50 at Sawmill.
- 207/Kingsbury Grade and US 50 will be open.
- As with evacuating, please be patient and remain calm as you drive back to town with one access point available.
- Gas up before getting on the road.
CALDOR FIRE - Evacuation Warnings Lifted 9/5/21 2:45 PM
WHAT: Evacuation Warnings Lifted
WHEN: Effective Immediately
WHERE: Amador County
Evacuation Order Update:
The following Evacuation Warnings have been lifted in Amador County:
- Zone 3 - The area described as South of the El Dorado - Amador County line with a western
border of Highway 88 at Omo Ranch Road to Highway 88 at Tiger Creek Road. Southern border
of Tiger Creek Road and Salt Springs Road. Eastern border of Panther Creek Road.
REMINDER: There is still a temporary Emergency Closure in effect for the Eldorado National Forest through the end of September. This closure includes all National Forest Service lands, roads (including Mormon Emigrant Trail) and trails within the Eldorado National Forest. See Forest Order 03-21-14 for more information. To request access to private lands within the warning area, accessible via closed Forest Service roads, please contact your local Forest Service District Office. The Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit is closed under the Regional Emergency Closure of all National Forests in California. See the Regional Order for more information. Recreation residences and other permittees should contact their permit administrator for questions regarding access when their area becomes open for repopulation.
CALDOR FIRE - RETURNING HOME AFTER WILDFIRE:
As the areas affected by the Caldor Fire continue to repopulate, we’d like to remind residents that are returning to home from wildfire to do so safely. CAL FIRE has created the Returning Home Checklist on our website to help residents return home safely.
Repopulation consists of complex coordination between, fire, law enforcement, public works, and utilities to ensure the safety of residents and fire responders alike. We thank you for your patience and we work to get you back home.
The public is reminded to stay vigilant on current fire conditions. Please continue to adhere to road closures and any evacuation orders and warnings. A reminder to drive slowly & yield to emergency personnel in the area. There will be smoke in the respective areas as firefighters continue firefighting operations. If at any time you feel unsafe, call 911. For tips on returning home after wildfire visit: Ready for Wildfire and view Returning Home Video
WEST ZONE Situation Summary:
Today, slow wind speeds and an early morning smoke inversion decreased fire activity. Crews worked in challenging terrain in remote areas along the northeast edge of the fire picking up spots and going direct when safe. Along Hwy 50, firefighters mopped up and cleared hazard trees to support safe repopulation in the coming days. Aircraft and hand crews worked in tandem along portions of Hwy 88 picking up spot fires and building more control line. Tonight, firefighters will actively patrol the fire seeking out and extinguishing heat. Damage inspections continue with approximately 85% of structures assessed.
To better provide public and firefighter safety due to extreme fire conditions throughout Northern California, and strained firefighter resources throughout the Country, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing a temporary closure of all National Forests in California. The closure order can be found at https://tinyurl.com/USFSClosure.
EAST ZONE Situation Summary:
Firefighters continue to make progress around all portions of the East Zone. Due to the outstanding work of the crews and their aggressive mop-up, firefighters were able to add a good amount of containment line today.
Evacuation Orders for South Lake Tahoe were downgraded to an Evacuation Warning at 3 P.M. today. It is important to note that although the evacuation warning was downgraded to a warning, potential dangers still exist, and we hope residents stay vigilant and safe as they begin to return home.
A firefighting suppression module was inserted into the Desolation Wilderness today and worked one-half mile into the boundary near Ralston Peak, where firefighters continued their direct attack. An additional suppression module will be inserted tomorrow to continue this operation further.
In the area of Echo Lake, structure preparation has been completed, and crews are working back towards the handline and continuing to build upon the mop-up efforts that have been previously done. Fire is slowly backing down towards this handline.
Along the Northeastern portion of the fire, the night shift crews will continue their work in completing the handline from Trimmer Rock to Fountain Place.
Crews will continue to work in the area of Luther Spire down to Scout Peak where there are still pockets of heat; however, there are no active flames.
In the communities of Myers and Christmas Valley, crews continue securing around structures, building additional depth in their mop-up. Crews were able to increase their containment line up to the road system near Corral Creek.
Around Caples Lake, firefighters continued their extensive mop up operations and building hand lines.
Local Assistance Center:
Address: 6699 Campus Drive, Placerville, CA 95667. Located at Folsom Lake Community College, El Dorado Campus, Fitness Center Building.
Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Wednesdays 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Highway 88 is closed between Peddlers Ridge and the Highway 88/89 interchange.
EL DORADO COUNTY
- Highway 50 is closed in both directions from the Sly Park Road exit to the California/Nevada stateline.
- Highway 89 at the Placer County/ El Dorado County line in Tahoma
EL DORADO COUNTY SHELTERS
- Green Valley Community Church
3500 Missouri Flat Road
- Cameron Park CSD
2502 Country Club Drive
Cameron Park, CA
- Rolling Hills Church
800 White Rock Road
El Dorado Hills, CA
NEVADA COUNTY SHELTER
- Truckee Veterans Hall
10214 High Street
Truckee, CA 96161
NEVADA STATE SHELTERS
- Reno-Sparks Convention Center
4590 South Virginia Street, Reno
- Fuji Park
601 Clear Creek Rd., Carson City, NV
RV Dry Camping and Large Animals
- Dayton Event Center/Rodeo Grounds
500 Schaad Lane, Dayton, NV
- Lyon County Fair Grounds
100 95A East Yerington, NV
- Carson City Community Center – FULL
851 E. William Street, Carson City, NV
- Fuji Park
601 Clear Creek Rd., Carson City, NV
Animal Evacuation Centers
EL DORADO COUNTY
- El Dorado County Animal Services (small animals)
6435 Capitol Ave.
Diamond Springs, CA
For animal evacuation questions or assistance call (530) 621-5795
- Saureel Vineyards (large animals) FULL
1140 Cold Springs Road
- South County Large Animal Rescue (SCLAR)
Amador County Fairgrounds (large and farm animals)
El Dorado County residents only
18621 Sherwood Street
- Amador County Animal Response Team- ACART
Amador County Fairgrounds (large and small animals)
18621 Sherwood Street
For Amador County residents only
- East to West Grooming
1368 Hwy 395, Unit B1, Gardnerville, NV
- (Small Animals Only)
- Washoe County Animal Services
2825 Longley Ln, Ste A Reno, NV
- Douglas County Fairgrounds- (Livestock)
920 Dump Road, Gardnerville, NV
- Douglas County Animal Services
921 Dump Rd. Gardnerville, NV
- (Small Animals Only)
Amador County Evacuations
Amador County Evacuation Orders:
- Zone 4A- South of Highway 88 along the Amador-El Dorado County line from Dufrene Road, north of the line due East from Dufrene Road to the Amador -Alpine County line, West of the line due South from Highway 88 to the East end of Salt Springs Reservoir.
- Zone 5A- South of Highway 88 along the Amador-El Dorado County line, north of the line due East from Dufrene Road to the Amador - Alpine County Line, East of the line due South from Highway 88 to the East end of Salt Springs Reservoir, West of the Amador - Alpine County line.
Amador County Evacuation Warnings:
- Zone 4B- South of Dufrene Road due East to the Amador-Alpine County line, North of the Amador - Calaveras County Line, West of Panther Creek Road, East of the line due South from Highway 88 to the East end of the Salt Springs Reservoir.
- Zone 5B- South of Dufrene Road due East to the Amador-Alpine County line, North of the Amador - Calaveras County line, West of the Amador - Alpine County line, East of the line due South from Highway 88 to the East end of the Salt Springs.
El Dorado County Evacuations
El Dorado County Evacuation Orders:
- CALDOR - East of North South Road, West of Service Road 09N78A, North of the Middle Fork of the Cosumnes River, South of Caldor
- CAPLES CREEK - This section is south of Highway 50 east of Kyburz up to 41 Milestone Tract and south all the way to Highway 88 between 1 mile east of Mormon Immigrant Trail up to Caples Lake following the county line.
- CHRISTMAS VALLEY - East of Echo Summit following Highway 89 north through Christmas Valley (both sides of 89) east to the Alpine County Line. This area is south of Highway 50 except for the residences accessed from Chiapa which also included. This area also includes the streets connected to Mulberry, Elmwood and Cornelian.
- CRYSTAL BASIN - North of Highway 50 from Ice House Road to Wrights Lake Road up to the Placer County Line to include Ice House Reservoir, Union Valley Reservoir, Wrights Lake, and Loon Lake.
- DESOLATION - This section extends south of the Placer County line in the area of the Rubicon Trail between Spider Lake and Sourdough Hill and extends south into Desolation Wilderness all the way to Highway 50 to include the areas of Rockbound Lake, Rubicon Reservoir, Highland Lake, Horseshoe Lake, Schmidell Lake and Twin Lakes south to Highway 50 between Wrights Lake Road and Twin Bridges. The eastern edge of this area is in line with Clyde Lake and Pyramid Lake.
- DESOLATION EAST - The area north of Echo Lake, following the Desolation Wilderness north staying west of Fallen Leaf Lake, Cascade Lake and Emerald Bay up to the Placer County Line
- DESOLATION NORTH - This is the area of Desolation Wilderness south of the Placer County Line extending to Emerald Bay, but staying within Desolation Wilderness.
- DOGTOWN CREEK - The area east of Leoni Meadows, south of Leoni Road and north of big mountain.
- FALLEN LEAF - The area of Fallen Leaf Lake, Angora Lake and the residences on Tahoe Mountain, extending west to the border of Desolation Wilderness.
- GRIZZLY FLAT PROPER - The main residential area of Grizzly Flats from Cosumnes Mine and String Canyon on the west and Winding Way and Forest Glen on the east.
- HEAVENLY - East of Pioneer Trail between Larch and Al Tahoe, to include the area of Heavenly Ski Resort out to the Alpine County Line and the Nevada State line on the east.
- HELL HOLE - Northeast of Highway 89, west of the Alpine County line, and south of Tahoe Paradise Golf Course.
- MET TO HWY 88 - South of Mormon Emigrant Trail to Highway 88. West on Highway 88 to Hams Station.
- MEYERS - All residences in Meyers North of Highway 89 and east of Highway 50 to include all streets accessed from Apache, Mandan, following Pioneer Trail northeast just past Elks Club.
- NORTHEAST CAMINO AND NORTHWEST POLLOCK - North of Highway 50, South of Slab Creek Reservoir, East of Snows Road, West of Sly Park Road
- NORTHEAST POLLOCK - North of Highway 50 between Forebay Road and Icehouse Road extending to the North to include Spring Valley Road.
- PIONEER - This is the area north of Elks Club along Highway 50 and the west side Pioneer Trail, but also including the street of Hekpa, but excluding the residences west of the airport. This segment includes all residences accessed from Jicarilla, Washoan and Glen Eagles. This also includes the Golden Bear neighborhood and the neighborhoods of Cold Creek Trail, High Meadows, Marshall Trail.
- SOUTH ECHO - South of Highway 50 starting at Camp Sacramento to the top of Echo Summit then proceeding due south to the Alpine County Line.
- SOUTHEAST POLLOCK - South of Highway 50 east of Sly Park Road, West of Ice House Road, North of MET
- TRIMMER - The area east of Pioneer Trail to the Alpine County Line stopping south of Heavenly Ski Resort, excluding all residences off of Pioneer Trail.
- US 50 SOUTH TO KYBURZ - South of Highway 50 from Ice House Road to Silver Fork Road, to include the community of Kyburz. East of Mormon Emigrant Trail to Highway 88
- WASHOE MEADOWS - All streets accessed from North Upper Truckee Road which is north of Highway 50 stopping at Sawmill and Lake Tahoe Blvd on the north side. This includes all residences on Sawmill and the residences to the west of Highway 50 in Meyers to include Country Club, Bakersfield, East S and Hopi.
El Dorado County Evacuation Warnings:
- BARNEY RIDGE - North of Omo Ranch Road east to North South Road, crossing both sides of Sopiago Creek.
- DRY LAKES - This section is north of Wentworth Springs Road up to the Placer County line and the remaining section of El Dorado County south of Placer County to Loon Lake.
- GREATER GRIZZLY EAST - South of Mormon Emigrant Trail, West of North South Road, North of Omo Ranch Road, East of the intersection of Omo Ranch and Slug Gulch Road, South of the Community of Blue Mountain, East of the intersection of Capps Crossing Road and Cypress Point Road.
- GRIZZLY FLAT WEST - East of Highway E16, west of Steely Ridge Road, south of the North Fork of the Cosumnes River & north of the Middle Fork of the Cosumnes River.
- HAPPY VALLEY - All properties accessed from Happy Valley Road.
- OMO RANCH - The area of the town of Omo Ranch south of the Middle fork of the Consumnes River, North of Omo Ranch Road from Slug Gulch Road to 8N54.
- PI PI - East of North South Road from Omo Ranch to Cat Creek and east to Highway 88 1 mile east of Omo Ranch Road.
- SOUTH LAKE TAHOE CITY LIMITS - from the Nevada State line west along Highway 50 to the Tahoe airport. Highway 89 from the city northwest to the city's edge at West Way. Also Pioneer Trail from state line west to Al Tahoe Blvd.
- SOUTH OF WENTWORTH SPRINGS - North of Slab Creek to Wentworth Springs Road between Sand Mountain and Loon Lake.
- SOUTH SLY PARK - South of Starkes Grade Road, north of Sly Park Creek, east of Pleasant Valley Road up to and including the Diamond Garnet subdivision.
- SOUTHEAST CAMINO AND SOUTHWEST POLLOCK - The area described as South of US Highway 50, North of Starkes Grade Road, East of Snows Road and West of Fresh Pond.
- TAHOMA / NORTH OF THE CITY OF SOUTH LAKE TAHOE - All properties on the east (lake side) of Highway 89 extending north from the city limits to Emerald Bay. All properties on both sides of Highway 89 extending north from Emerald Bay through Tahoma. The National Forest is still closed, and the area of Fallen Leaf Lake is still under an evacuation order.
- WEST OMO - North of Omo Ranch Road, South of Grizzly Flat Road, East of Fairplay Road, West of Slug Gulch Road and Omo Ranch Road.
Alpine County Evacuations
- The area from Pickett’s Junction, north on Highway 89 to the Alpine/El Dorado County line. Northeast along the Alpine/El Dorado County line to the California/Nevada state line. Southeast along the Alpine County line to Fay-Luther Canyon. Southwest along Fay-Luther Canyon to Horse Thief Canyon to Pickett’s Junction.
- North of Highway 89 from Woodfords due north to Luther Creek at the Nevada State line.
- East of Forestdale Road and south to the Pacific Crest Trail Crossing.
- East of the Pacific Crest Trail to the Summit City Canyon Trail.
- East of Summit City Canyon Trail and south to the El Dorado / Stanislaus National Forest Line.
- El Dorado / Stanislaus National Forest Line east to the northern lake edge of Upper Blue Lakes.
- North of the North-west Lake edge of Upper Blue Lake to the southern aspect of Hawkins Peak and to Woodfords junction.
- South of Highway 88 at Woodfords Junction to Forestdale Road.
- The area from Picketts Junction south on Highway 88 to Forestdale Road. Northeast to Hawkins Peak to the Highway 88/Highway 89 junction at Woodfords. East on Highway 88 to the California/Nevada state line. Northwest along the Alpine County line to Fay-Luther Canyon. Southwest along Fay-Luther Canyon to Horse Thief Canyon to Picketts Junction.
Douglas County Evacuations
- Upper Kingsbury (North & South)
- Central Kingsbury
- Lower Kingsbury
- Water Tenders
- Air Tankers
- Hand Crews
- Total Personnel
|El Dorado National Forest||530-303-2455||100 Forni Road Placerville California 95667||https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7801/|
|El Dorado County Sheriff's Office||(530) 621-5655||https://www.edcgov.us/Government/sheriff/|
|Pioneer Fire District||(530) 620-4444||http://pioneerfire.org/|
|Cooperating Agencies: El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office, Sierra Pacific Industries, Pioneer FD, PG&E, CHP, El Dorado Irrigation District, El Dorado County, Grizzly Flats Community Service District, SMUD, Amador County Sheriff’s Office, AT&T, Georgetown FD, CALTRANS, Indian Diggins School District, El Dorado County FD, Grizzly Flats Water District, Volcano Telephone, Placerville FD, El Dorado County DOT, Mosquito FD, Garden Valley FD, Cal OES Fire, El Dorado County EMSA, El Dorado County Office of Education, Marshall Medical Center, Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians FD, State Water Resources Control Board, KAMPS, El Dorado County Department of Agriculture, Barton Health, CAL EPA, Lake Valley Fire District, and Verizon|