Incident Update Caldor Fire
- 2:41 PM
- Caldor Fire
- Start Date/Time
- Incident Status
- East of Omo Ranch, South of the community of Grizzly Flats
- Under Investigation
- El Dorado
- Administration Unit
- Unified Command: CAL FIRE Amador-El Dorado Unit and El Dorado National Forest
- Unified Command Agency(s)
- Structures Threatened
- Structures Destroyed
- Structures Damaged
- Civilian Injuries
- Firefighter Injuries
- Civilian Fatalities
- Firefighter Fatalities
Permitted Access Issued By El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office 9/11/21 2:00 p.m.
WHAT: Permitted Access Issued By El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office
WHEN: September 12, 2021
WHERE: El Dorado County, Grizzly Flats
The Evacuation Orders remain in effect in Grizzly Flats, but residents will be allowed access with a permit issued by the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office.
If you live:
- In the area of String Canyon and Eagle Hill to String Canyon and Rollingwood, including the residences accessed from Eagle Hill, you should have received a Code Red message giving you a 24 hour notice that your area is scheduled to be repopulated starting Sunday, Sept. 12th at 8AM. This does not include the Evergreen area. Please arrive at Pioneer Park at 8AM with proof of residency and a government ID or a government ID that shows your address.
- In the area between the intersection of Consumnes Mine and Sciaroni and the intersection of Sciaroni and Tyler, you should have received a Code Red message giving you a 24 hour notice that your area is scheduled to be repopulated starting Sunday, Sept. 12th at 11AM. Please arrive at Pioneer Park at 11AM with proof of residency and a government ID or a government ID that shows your address.
- In the area between the intersection of Sciaroni and Capps Crossing and Meadow Glen and Winding Way, you should have received a Code Red message giving you a 24 hour notice that your area is scheduled to be repopulated starting Sunday, Sept. 12th at 2PM. Please arrive at Pioneer Park at 2PM with proof of residency and a government ID or a government ID that shows your address.
When you arrive, you will receive instructions about the process to gain entry to your property. Please do NOT arrive early. To expedite the permit process please fill out reentry permit application in advance, if possible: https://arcg.is/0LHeCX
To sign up for El Dorado County Code Red Alerts, click HERE. REMINDER: There is still a temporary Emergency Closure in effect for the Eldorado National Forest through the end of September. This closure includes all National Forest Service lands, roads (including Mormon Emigrant Trail) and trails within the Eldorado National Forest. See Forest Order 03-21-14 for more information. To request access to private lands within the warning area, accessible via closed Forest Service roads, please contact your local Forest Service District Office. The Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit is closed under the Regional Emergency Closure of all National Forests in California. See the Regional Order for more information. Recreation residences and other permittees should contact their permit administrator for questions regarding access when their area becomes open for repopulation.
Repopulation consists of complex coordination between fire, law enforcement, public works, and utilities to ensure the safety of residents and fire responders alike.
The public is reminded to stay vigilant on current fire conditions. Please continue to adhere to road closures and any evacuation orders and warnings. A reminder to drive slowly and yield to emergency personnel in the area. There will be smoke in the respective areas as firefighters continue firefighting operations. If at any time you feel unsafe, please call 911. For tips on returning home after wildfire visit: Returning Home Checklist - Ready for Wildfire
For more specific information and resources from your local utility company visit the links below:
Sacramento Municipal Utility District https://tinyurl.com/SMUDCaldor
El Dorado Irrigation District https://tinyurl.com/EIDCaldor
Grizzly Flats CSD: https://tinyurl.com/GrizzlyCaldor
Liberty Utilities: https://tinyurl.com/LibertyCaldor
Please go to: www.tinyurl.com/EDSOEVAC for an online evacuation map.
WEST ZONE Situation Summary:
The fire remained active overnight, though minimal growth occurred across the fire area. Firefighters worked diligently mopping up heat in interior islands and answering calls for service. Southwest winds are forecasted through the weekend and create the potential for additional fire growth. Today firefighters will continue working along the northeast and southern edges to secure more control line and mop up. Crews and heavy equipment will remain in the Highway 50 corridor clearing hazard trees to ensure safe repopulation in the coming days. Damage inspections are 100% complete with 3,356 structures assessed.
To better provide public and firefighter safety due to extreme fire conditions throughout Northern California, and strained firefighter resources throughout the country, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing a temporary closure of all National Forests in California. The closure order can be found at: https://tinyurl.com/USFSClosure.
EAST ZONE Situation Summary:
The Red Flag warning expired at 11:00 p.m. Friday, but gusty winds continued overnight near Caples Lake. Established fire lines throughout the East Zone held through the extreme wind event over the last 24 hours and current fire behavior is primarily interior creeping and smoldering. Crews patrolled, held, and improved lines through the night. Today the active fire area north of Strawberry Creek is a high priority for firefighters and additional crews will be working alongside hotshots, dozers, and helicopters to complete line construction. Christmas Valley is holding well which has allowed teams to identify and remove compromised trees that threaten roads or structures. The goal is to expedite repopulation.
Crews will also continue to increase mop up depth adjacent to fire lines throughout the East Zone. PG&E, Cal Trans and Fire Crews are working together to remove hazard trees adjacent to Highway 50 coordinating efforts to expedite re-opening of this critical access route as soon as possible.
- Highway 88 is closed between Peddlers Ridge and the Highway 88/89 interchange.
EL DORADO COUNTY SHELTERS
- Rolling Hills Church
800 White Rock Road
El Dorado Hills, CA
- Reno-Sparks Convention Center
4590 South Virginia Street, Reno
NEVADA STATE SHELTERS
- Reno-Sparks Convention Center
4590 South Virginia Street, Reno
Animal Evacuation Centers
EL DORADO COUNTY
- El Dorado County Animal Services (small animals)
6435 Capitol Ave.
Diamond Springs, CA
For animal evacuation questions or assistance call (530) 621-5795
- Saureel Vineyards (large animals) (FULL)
1140 Cold Springs Road
- East to West Grooming
1368 Hwy 395, Unit B1, Gardnerville, NV
- (Small Animals Only)
- Washoe County Animal Services
2825 Longley Ln, Ste A Reno, NV
- Douglas County Fairgrounds- (Livestock)
920 Dump Road, Gardnerville, NV
- Douglas County Animal Services
921 Dump Rd. Gardnerville, NV
- (Small Animals Only)
Amador County Evacuations
Amador County Evacuation Orders:
- Zone 4A- South of Highway 88 along the Amador-El Dorado County line from Dufrene Road, north of the line due East from Dufrene Road to the Amador -Alpine County line, West of the line due South from Highway 88 to the East end of Salt Springs Reservoir.
- Zone 5A- South of Highway 88 along the Amador-El Dorado County line, north of the line due East from Dufrene Road to the Amador - Alpine County Line, East of the line due South from Highway 88 to the East end of Salt Springs Reservoir, West of the Amador - Alpine County line.
Amador County Evacuation Warnings:
- Zone 4B- South of Dufrene Road due East to the Amador-Alpine County line, North of the Amador - Calaveras County Line, West of Panther Creek Road, East of the line due South from Highway 88 to the East end of the Salt Springs Reservoir.
- Zone 5B- South of Dufrene Road due East to the Amador-Alpine County line, North of the Amador - Calaveras County line, West of the Amador - Alpine County line, East of the line due South from Highway 88 to the East end of the Salt Springs Reservoir.
El Dorado County Evacuations
El Dorado County Evacuation Orders:
- CALDOR - East of North South Road, West of Service Road 09N78A, North of the Middle Fork of the Cosumnes River, South of Caldor
- CAPLES CREEK - This section is south of Highway 50 east of Kyburz up to 41 Milestone Tract and south all the way to Highway 88 between 1 mile east of Mormon Immigrant Trail up to Caples Lake following the county line.
- CHRISTMAS VALLEY - East of Echo Summit following Highway 89 north through Christmas Valley (both sides of 89) east to the Alpine County Line. This area is south of Highway 50 except for the residences accessed from Chiapa which also included. This area also includes the streets connected to Mulberry, Elmwood and Cornelian.
- CRYSTAL BASIN B - North of Highway 50, east of Ice House Road to Wrights Lake Road up to the Placer County Line to include Ice House Reservoir, Wrights Lake, and Loon Lake.
- DESOLATION - This section extends south of the Placer County line in the area of the Rubicon Trail between Spider Lake and Sourdough Hill and extends south into Desolation Wilderness all the way to Highway 50 to include the areas of Rockbound Lake, Rubicon Reservoir, Highland Lake, Horseshoe Lake, Schmidell Lake and Twin Lakes south to Highway 50 between Wrights Lake Road and Twin Bridges. The eastern edge of this area is in line with Clyde Lake and Pyramid Lake.
- DESOLATION EAST - The area north of Echo Lake, following the Desolation Wilderness north staying west of Fallen Leaf Lake, Cascade Lake, and Emerald Bay up to the Placer County Line
- DESOLATION NORTH - This is the area of Desolation Wilderness south of the Placer County Line extending to Emerald Bay, but staying within Desolation Wilderness.
- FALLEN LEAF B - The area of Fallen Leaf Lake, Angora Lake and the residences on Tahoe Mountain, extending west to the border of Desolation Wilderness, south of Hwy 89.
- GRIZZLY FLAT PROPER - The communities of Grizzly Flats and Blue Mountain remain Closed. South of the intersection of Cosumnes Mine Road and Sciaroni Road, North and East of the intersection of Grizzly Flat Road and Steely Road, West of the intersection of Capps Crossing Road and Cypress Point Drive.
- HEAVENLY - East of Pioneer Trail between Larch and Al Tahoe, to include the area of Heavenly Ski Resort out to the Alpine County Line and the Nevada State line on the east.
- HELL HOLE - Northeast of Highway 89, west of the Alpine County line, and south of Tahoe Paradise Golf Course.
- MET TO HWY 88 - South of Mormon Emigrant Trail to Highway 88. West on Highway 88 to Hams Station.
- NORTH ECHO - North of Highway 50 between Twin Bridges and Echo Summit, extending to the north just past Upper Echo Lake
- SOUTH ECHO - South of Highway 50 starting at Camp Sacramento to the top of Echo Summit then proceeding due south to the Alpine County Line.
- TRIMMER - The area east of Pioneer Trail to the Alpine County Line stopping south of Heavenly Ski Resort, excluding all residences off of Pioneer Trail.
- US 50 SOUTH TO KYBURZ - South of Highway 50 from Ice House Road to Silver Fork Road, to include the community of Kyburz. East of Mormon Emigrant Trail to Highway 88.
- WASHOE MEADOWS / NORTH UPPER TRUCKEE - All streets accessed from North Upper Truckee Road which is north of Highway 50 stopping at Sawmill and Lake Tahoe Blvd on the north side. This includes all residences on Sawmill and the residences to the west of Highway 50 in Meyers to include Country Club, Bakersfield, East S and Hopi.
El Dorado County Evacuation Warnings:
- CRYSTAL BASIN A - West of Ice House Road from the Placer County Line, south to Highway 50 and east of Junction Reservoir.
- FALLEN LEAF A - North of Highway 89 between Emerald Bay and West Way
- GREATER GRIZZLY EAST - South of Mormon Emigrant Trail, West of North South Road, North of Omo Ranch Road, East of the intersection of Omo Ranch and Slug Gulch Road, South of the Community of Blue Mountain, East of the intersection of Capps Crossing Road and Cypress Point Road.
- HAPPY VALLEY - All properties accessed from Happy Valley Road.
- MEYERS - All residences in Meyers north of Highway 89 and east of Highway 50 to include all streets accessed from Apache, Mandan, following Pioneer Trail northeast just past Elks Club.
- PI PI - East of North South Road from Omo Ranch to Cat Creek and east to Highway 88 1 mile east of Omo Ranch Road.
- PIONEER - All homes accessed from both sides of Pioneer Trail from the city limits starting at Al Tahoe Blvd and moving west stopping before Elks Club.
- SOUTH LAKE TAHOE CITY LIMITS - from the Nevada State line west along Highway 50 to the Tahoe airport. Highway 89 from the city northwest to the city's edge at West Way. Also Pioneer Trail from state line west to Al Tahoe Blvd.
- SOUTHEAST POLLOCK - South of Highway 50 east of Sly Park Road, west of Ice House Road, North of MET.
- TAHOMA / NORTH OF THE CITY OF SOUTH LAKE TAHOE - All properties on the east (lake side) of Highway 89 extending north from the city limits to Emerald Bay. All properties on both sides of Highway 89 extending north from Emerald Bay through Tahoma. The National Forest is still closed, and the area of Fallen Leaf Lake is still under an evacuation order.
- THE FOLLOWING STREETS IN EL DORADO COUNTY - Grizzly Flat Road between Steely Ridge Road and Blue Mountain Road. Cosumnes Mine Road between String Canyon Road and the North Fork of the Cosumnes River. String Canyon Road between Grizzly Flat Road and Eagle Hill Road.
Alpine County Evacuations
- ZONE 19 - Highway 88 at Forestdale Road. West of Forestdale Road & south to the Pacific Crest Trail Crossing. West of the Pacific Crest Trail to the Summit City Canyon Trail. West of Summit City Canyon Trail & south to the El Dorado / Stanislaus National Forest Line. El Dorado/Stanislaus National Forest Line west to the Alpine/Amador Co. line.
- ZONE 20 - Highway 89 south, from Luther Pass Road to the Pickets Junction (Highway 88). West on Hwy 88 to Kirkwood. South to include Kirkwood Ski Resort & Caples Lake.
- ZONE 21A - The area from Pickett’s Junction, north on Highway 89 the Alpine/El Dorado County line. Northeast to along the Alpine/El Dorado County line to Armstrong Ridge. Southeast along Armstrong Ridge to Horse Thief. Southwest along Horse Thief Canyon to Pickett’s Junction.
- ZONE 22A - The area from Armstrong Ridge at the Alpine/El Dorado County line, northeast to the California/Nevada State line. Southeast along the Alpine County line to Fay-Luther Canyon. Southwest along Fay-Luther Canyon to the Horse Thief Canyon to Armstrong Ridge. Northwest on Armstrong Ridge to the Alpine/El Dorado Co. line.
- ZONE 21B - The area from Pickett’s Junction, south on Highway 88 to Forestdale Road. Northeast to Hawkins Peak to the Highway 88/Highway 89 junction at Woodfords. Northwest along Armstrong Ridge to Horse Thief Canyon, Southwest along Horse Thief Canyon to Pickett’s Junction.
- ZONE 22B - The area from Armstrong Ridge and Horse Thief Canyon, northeast to Fay-Luther Canyon to the California/Nevada State line. Southeast along the Alpine County line to Highway 89. Southwest on Highway 89 to the Highway 88/Highway 89 junction at Woodfords. Northwest on the Armstrong Ridge to Horse Thief Canyon.
- ZONE 23 - East of Forestdale Road and south to the Pacific Crest Trail Crossing. East of the Pacific Crest Trail to the Summit City Canyon Trail. East of Summit City Canyon Trail and south to the El Dorado / Stanislaus National Forest Line. El Dorado /Stanislaus National Forest Line east to the northern lake edge of Upper Blue Lakes. North of the North-west Lake edge of Upper Blue Lake to the southern aspect of Hawkins Peak and to Woodford’s junction. South of Highway 88 at Woodfords Junction to Forestdale Road.
Douglas County Evacuations
- Upper Kingsbury (North & South)
- Lower Kingsbury
- Water Tenders
- Air Tankers
- Hand Crews
- Total Personnel
|El Dorado National Forest||530-303-2455||100 Forni Road Placerville California 95667||https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/7801/|
|El Dorado County Sheriff's Office||(530) 621-5655||https://www.edcgov.us/Government/sheriff/|
|Pioneer Fire District||(530) 620-4444||http://pioneerfire.org/|
|Cooperating Agencies: El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office, Sierra Pacific Industries, Pioneer FD, PG&E, CHP, El Dorado Irrigation District, El Dorado County, Grizzly Flats Community Service District, SMUD, Amador County Sheriff’s Office, AT&T, Georgetown FD, CALTRANS, Indian Diggins School District, El Dorado County FD, Grizzly Flats Water District, Volcano Telephone, Placerville FD, El Dorado County DOT, Mosquito FD, Garden Valley FD, Cal OES Fire, El Dorado County EMSA, El Dorado County Office of Education, Marshall Medical Center, Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians FD, State Water Resources Control Board, KAMPS, El Dorado County Department of Agriculture, Barton Health, CAL EPA, Lake Valley Fire District, and Verizon|