CAL FIRE does not have the authority to deny a THP that is in compliance with state and federal rules and laws, simply because the logging plan is unpopular with the public. The Department reviews and approves between 500 to 1400 THPs each year. A THP that does not comply with all forestry and environmental regulations is returned to the RPF. It is only approved after the RPF and landowner agree to make the changes necessary to ensure compliance with all laws. CAL FIRE follows-up on approved THPs with site inspections and can shut down operations, cite or fine RPFs, Licensed Timber Operators (LTOs), and landowners if illegal operations are found.
- State Timber Harvest Review Team staff have begun using the California Timber Regulation and Environmental Evaluation System, CalTREES. Review Team staff are able to view timber harvesting documents online, via CalTREES, to facilitate faster and easier collaborative reviews. Interested stakeholders may also now use the CalTREES search and review features.
For additional information, please visit our new CalTREES Information Portal.
The revision of the Anadromous Salmonid Protections Rules: Revised Interpretive Questions and Answers for RPFs and Landowners that was proudced in April 2010 reflects changes made by the Board of Forestry and Fire Protection when they passed the "Class II-L Identification an dProtection Amendments, 2013" rule package, which went into effect January 1, 2014.
Forest Practice Open Data Hub
GIS data, links to the Forest Practice Watershed Mapper and CalTREES, and the ability to visualize and download data are now available through CAL FIRE’s Open Data Hub and the Forest Practice initiative. https://forest-practice-calfire-forestry.hub.arcgis.com/
- Timber Harvesting
- Timber Harvesting Forms
- Timber Harvesting Review Process
- Forest Practice GIS Data
- Forest Practice Watershed Mapper
- Licensed Timber Operators (LTOs)
- CalTREES Information Portal
- CalTREES System
- Regional Unit Forester Contact List (PDF)
- Utility Contact List (PDF)
- Forest Practice Watershed Mapper (PDF)