Boggs: Campgrounds are currently closed but will be opened June 29, 2020 in accordance with State Guidance and County Health Officer Approval.
The State of California recognizes the importance of outdoor activities and exercise during this challenging time of COVID-19. As such, CAL FIRE Demonstration State Forest staff are working with local officials on a regionally-driven approach to increase access to camping and recreational opportunities.
While stay-at-home orders may be modified, it does not mean things are going back to normal. It is critical that Californians continue to stay close to home, practice physical distancing, and avoid congregating with others outside their immediate household to mitigate the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition, CAL FIRE is asking that visitors and campers at Demonstration State Forests adhere to the following guidelines to keep you and our staff safe:
- Stay Clean:
- Bring and use your own soap, disinfectant supplies, hand sanitizer, paper towels and toilet paper.
- Bring plastic table cloths for picnic tables that can be disposed of or taken back home for washing.
- Pack out what you pack in:
- Pack out all trash wherever possible to minimize the amount of trash staff must dispose of at the campsite, trail head, or other facilities.
- Practice Physical Distancing:
- Maintain a physical distance of 6 feet or more
- Do not gather in groups larger than currently recommended by the local county.
- Camp Safely
- Only one household should occupy each campsite.
- Only ONE passenger vehicle will be allowed per campsite.
- No more than SIX people may occupy a campsite.
- Group campsites remain closed.
- Stay Informed:
- Visit CA GOV for the latest information on COVID-19.
- Check the local city and county reopening guidelines for additional regulations and safety procedures.
- When arriving at a Demonstration State Forest for camping or other recreation activities, be sure to follow any posted signs or verbal direction from CAL FIRE staff.
Lake County COVID-19 Information: http://health.co.lake.ca.us/Coronavirus.htm
Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest (BMDSF) is currently open year-round for day use and the Calso Campground will open on June 29, 2020. Group campgrounds at Ridge Camp, Horse Camp, and Crawler Camp remain closed to camping and group gatherings. Day use hours are from sunrise to sunset. Campfires are allowed in designated fire rings within the 14 campsites at Calso Camp after June 29, 2020. These sites will be open for a single household, not to exceed 6 people and 1 vehicle. Target shooting is prohibited on BMDSF. All vehicles must stay on mapped, numbered roads. No Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) use is permitted on BMDSF. The complete trail system has not yet been reestablished however Gail’s Trail from the main parking area to the Calso Camp is open for mixed use. Hiking, biking, and horseback riding is permitted on numbered roads and Gail’s Trail. Sections of BMDSF will be subject to temporary closures. Please observe all posted signs regarding road and area closures. Fireworks are prohibited on BMDSF.
California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
Boggs Mountain Demonstration State Forest
P.O. Box 839
Cobb, CA 95426